Jamaican Jerk Chicken
2 tablespoons of Dried Thyme ($.99)
1 tablespoon of Jamaican All Spice ($5.49)
1 tablespoon of Ground Rosemary ($.99)
1 tablespoon of Ground Ginger ($3.59)
1 1/2 tablespoons of Red Cayenne Pepper ($3.49)
1 1/2 tablespoons of White Pepper ($3.49)
1 1/2 tablespoons of Sea Salt ($2.49)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Onion Powder ($1.25)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Ground Cinnamon ($1.25)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Black Pepper ($2.19)
3/4 teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg ($4.99)
3/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder ($1.25)
3/4 teaspoon of Paprika ($1.25)
12 Bay Leaves crumbled ($1.25)
1/3 cup of sugar
4 lbs of chicken (wings/thighs/legs/quarters. whatever you want)
1 container of lime juice
1/4 olive oil
1. Mix all of the above spices (except lime juice and olive oil) into a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk well.
2. Pour container of lime juice and olive oil in a bowl and mix well
3. Dip the chicken in the lime/oil bowl and then place the chicken in the dry seasoning, coat well. Try and get as much of the seasoning, as you can onto the chicken. Place to the side, continue the same steps until all of the chicken is gone. If you find yourself running out of the dried seasoning, just add more into the bowl.
4. Marinate for 1-3 hours.
5. Preheat oven 450 degrees.
6. Place chicken in a pan, cover with foil and place in the oven for 1.5 hours, flip every 20-30 minutes.
*7 OPTIONAL If you have a grill, you can place the chicken on the grill for a few minutes to get the desired grill lines effect.
Jamaican rice and peas
Rice and peas ingredients:
1 16oz can of red kidney beans (cooked)
1 Garlic chopped (finely)
1 16 0z can of coconut milk (I used Goya)
2 cups of rice
2 Green onions chopped
2 sprig of fresh thyme
Add salt/pepper to taste
Water 2.5 cups
Cook the red kidney beans as instructed on the can in a medium pot. In a larger pot measure all liquids, put in the garlic and onions bring to a boil. Take the pot of red kidney beans and pour in the larger pot. Add in your 2 cups of rice along with the 2 sprigs of thyme, salt/pepper and bring to a boil. When it boils, cover the pot and turn down the flame to simmer. In 20 minutes, turn the flame off and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover the pot and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Serve it next to the jerk chicken you just made and ENJOY!